Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Redemption and Resilience - A Review

 
 
 


While I am still making my way through Jane Eyre, I opted to take a little detour and read Laura Hillenbrand's book Unbroken: A World War II Novel of Survial, Resilience and Redemption. Wow. It touched my soul. You would think that this was a work of fiction because of the twists and turns this story delivers, and the incredible amount of adversity this man faces, but no, this is true to life.

 Unbroken is a biography that follows the life of Louie (who is still alive today) as a 1936 Olympic contender, a pilot in WWII, and a POW. It is inspiring. I highly recommend it. I could not put it down. I like finishing a book and feeling as if I am a little wiser, and a little more hopeful, as this story did. Also, Laura Hillenbrand is an amazing author and someone who has conquered much despite (or perhaps because of) the adversity she has faced. Due to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, she has only written two books; Seabiscuit and Unbroken. Both are inspiring pieces of non-fiction that have a common theme of the resiliency of the human spirit, and both reads are well worth your time. They would pair nicely with a cup of tea and the fresh spring air.

Cheers,
Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment